Founded on 14 October 2015, Saint Helena Napoleonic Heritage Ltd (SHNH) is a not-for-profit organisation under St Helenian law, whose purpose is to preserve the memory of the emperor on St Helena.
The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs has delegated the day-to-day management of the French domains on St Helena (Longwood, the valley of the Tomb and The Briars) to the SHNH.
This contract was signed by:
- The ambassador Jean Mendelson, Goodwill Ambassador, former ambassador to Cuba and former Director of the French Diplomatic Archives (Ministry of Foreign Affairs);
- Mr Mark Capes, Governor of Saint Helena;
- and Mr Victor-André Masséna, Prince d’Essling, President of the Fondation Napoléon.
- the French Republic represented by Mr Michel Dancoisne-Martineau, Director of Domaines Nationaux de Sainte-Hélène;
- a representative of the Government of Saint Helena (Mr Dax Richards, St Helena’s Financial Secretary);
- the Fondation Napoléon (Mr Thierry Lentz, Director).
SHNH’s accounts need to be certified and are published each year.
The company’s annual objectives are set by the director of Domaines Nationaux de Sainte-Hélène. As soon as the contract is signed, the company makes arrangements to collect revenue from entrance tickets, venue hire and the souvenir shop established within the Domains. The balance of the ‘Save Napoleon’s House on Saint Helena’ subscription has been made available to the company as start-up expenses. The company does not make profits, and all revenue is assigned to maintenance, the development of collections and minor investments.
The same applies to the cleaning and conservation of the items and works left in its care by various institutions, which make up the Longwood Museum. Nothing changes in these matters, and these works are in no way affected by the contracts signed on 14 October.
From left to right: Victor-André Masséna, Prince d’Essling, President of the Fondation Napoléon; the ambassador Jean Mendelson, representing the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Mark Andrew Capes, Governor of Saint Helena.